Fire is the third leading cause of accidental death in the home; at least 80 percent of all fire deaths occur in residences.
Residential fires account for approximately 3/4 of reported structure fires in a year.
You can help increase the odds that a fire in your home doesn't occur.
Here are some things to consider when trying to make your home fire-safe:
Smoke detectors save lives. Make sure your home has at least 1 on every floor (including the basement) and that they work.
Never smoke when you are tired. Approximately 1/3 of all residential fire victims lost their lives in fires that were smoking-related. If you have a smoker in your home, make sure there are big, heavy ashtrays around the house.
Appliances should be unplugged when not in use. If an appliance begins to smoke or smell funny, unplug it immediately.
Do not overload electrical outlets.
Do not run extension cords underneath rugs.
Keep your furnace and water heater clear of any flammable materials.
Never leave a stove or burner unattended while cooking.
Clean the lint filter on your clothes dryer after each use. Dust and lint buildup is a common cause of fires.
Fire extinguishers are an important device to have on hand. If you have one in your home, make sure you know how to use it properly and also what type of fires it can be used on. You should only use a fire extinguisher on small, contained fires!
Keep matches out of reach from children.
FIRE SAFETY DISCLAIMER
The materials presented in this website are distributed by the Hillcrest Fire Company No. 1, its members and officers, as well as the Moleston Fire District and its Commissioners as an informational source only. The information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the topics discussed. Although every possible discretion is used to ensure the general suitability of this information, all readers are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements, and information for their accuracy. The Hillcrest Fire Company No. 1, its members and officers, as well as the Moleston Fire District and its Commissioners shall not be held liable to any persons for the information or advice provided in this web site or incorporated into it by reference or for loss or damages incurred as a result of reliance upon the material contained in this website.